Wednesday 25 January 2012

Burns Night surprise!

"What's for dinner tonight?", I queried as I hung up my jacket after coming home.

"It's a surprise", she said, closing the kitchen door quickly.

I'm intrigued.  Hmm, let's piece together the clues. Burns Night, check. Surprise, check.  Could we be having a haggis dinner Japanese style?



No.  Smoked oysters, smoked mussels, wasabi (big dollop), sushi rice with umeboshi on top and a large bowl of wakame and spring greens in a miso broth (not pictured).  Now I did not think of that!

It's been a while since we had either oysters or mussels so having both at the same time was a rare treat.  They are very similar in taste though but their densities differ quite a bit, with the oysters not being quite as firm as the mussels. The wasabi and lemon slice were meant to be decorative but I ate some of it with the seafood and mixed some of the rest in with my rice and the remainder in the miso broth.  I'm sure there are a few Japanese whose toes are curling at the thought.

1 comment:

G. Attkins said...

Looks lovely, in its own way... But I'm a haggis fan, first and foremost! Cannae whack a nice bit of chicken breast fillet, stuffed with haggis, served with a whisky sauce and fresh veg.